Pages

Thursday, April 26, 2012

an odd kind of day.




Today was an odd kind of day. Let me tell you why.

I'm in a religion class, and it is about death and dying. While this sounds kind of dark and awful, most times it is not like that at all. We examine historical, political, and cross-cultural issues surrounding death and grief. It is an interesting class to say the least. Well today was the final day of that class and when I walked in, the professor had everyone put all of their things away except for a single piece of paper and a pencil. Then he said, "You have ten minutes left to live and all you have is that paper and pencil. Go."

Yep. I had a day like that. A day where I had to sit and find some sort of final things to say to all of those people who I love so dearly. Let me tell you that I am not a big fan of crying in general, but there I sat in a classroom full of 58 other students and I had tears rolling down my face as I put that pencil to paper.

What do I say? How do I say it? How can I do this? Why would you make us do this?

But you know what? I have been in college for two semesters, and I learned more from that blank piece of paper than anything else I have studied all year. I learned more about myself in those 10 minutes than I have in the past 20 (almost 21) years. I learned a lot today. A whole big bunch... And as much as I resented that piece of paper in that moment, I am also certain that the same piece of paper will have a lasting impact on the rest of life. 

On a more chipper note, I just got back from a 3 mile run and I feel like a rock star.
And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love." 1 Corinthians 13:13


Love to all of you,
Carmen 


No comments:

Post a Comment