Pages

Sunday, April 15, 2012

About living and dying.




I work very part time at a psychiatric hospital. I'm talking 16-20 hours per month (hey I'm pretty busy). So because I am not there all too often, I don't have a specific job, I just fill in where they need me.  Tonight they needed me to sit with a man as he died. And so I did.

I did not know this man well, I've only met him a time or two before. It didn't matter much. I sat with him, and held his hand like we were old friends. And while I've sat with patients at the end of their lives before, it never gets any easier.

There is something profound about sitting with a person as they go from living to dying. I think it is one of the most real moments there is in life. Watching how temporary life really is.

It's hard to explain.

I could not do much for him, but I could sit there with him and keep him company. I could hold his hand. I could pray with him, and tell him that he was not alone.

"For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:17-18.
 
My life is temporary. I will be grateful for each day. I will focus my heart on the what matters most, and appreciate all that life has to offer.
 
Rest in peace Mr. S.
 
Carmen

No comments:

Post a Comment