Pages

Sunday, May 20, 2012

sunday life lessons.



Happy Sunday! The weekend has been good, but for some reason it has come and gone entirely too fast. Today was an usually trying day for me, and I learned a lot about myself. Don't worry, I'll tell you all about it because I would hate to leave you wondering.

Today I was at work just doing my work thing. Since I do not have a regular position, I rely heavily on the regular staff to boss me around and tell me what to do. I welcome the direction - because in order to be helpful I need to know what they need me to do. Most of the time all of the regular staff are very helpful and are great about keeping me in the loop. Not today.

During my shift another staff member was blatantly rude to me because I was unknowingly doing the wrong thing at the wrong time. The staff member was not snippy, or short with me, she literally yelled at me. I do not do well with being yelled at. I just kind of freeze and stand there with a 'deer in the headlights' look on my face. It's kind of pathetic, but it's just how I am.

Anyhow, after the incident I was upset. I just couldn't understand how and/why people feel the need to be that way. Sure we all have bad days, but this wasn't a bad day oopsie. It really bothered me. I spent a good part of my day being upset by her hurtful tone.. and then it hit me. It's her. Not me.

I like to be kind. I pride myself on being kind and polite to others. I think it is important. I realized today that maybe not everyone feels this way. I see kindness as one of the basic qualities of humanity. The key word there is I. It is slightly selfish for me to think/expect that line of thought from everyone. I have to make peace with the fact that not everyone is going to be kind or polite. While what she did was completely uncalled for, being upset that she does not place the same value on kindness as I do is only doing a disservice to myself.

Pretty deep right? It is Sunday afterall.

Until next time,
Carmen


No comments:

Post a Comment