Pages

Sunday, May 13, 2012

motherhood and other thoughts.



 I was not one of those girls who daydreamed about being a mommy. I loved to help out with other people's children, but I decided that I didn't ever want any that actually belonged to me. The thought of having tiny innocent lives depend on me for every aspect of their lives terrified me to the bone. I never wanted to have children of my own.

And then I did.

There is a change in your heart when you become a mother. It's hard to explain. Suddenly the whole world fits in your arms. All that is important and wonderful. Everything that is scary and joyous. It is just bundled up and placed in your arms. Motherhood is a blessing, and by the grace of God I have been blessed twice.

I took on a different attitude about Mother's Day this year. I looked at this day as a day to celebrate motherhood- which to me meant to be the best possible mom I could be. Surely I try to do this everyday, but I really wanted to spend today focused on the art of mothering. We had brunch with my mom(love you!) and after leaving there we went and bought some flowers to plant in the yard. After coming home I made a healthy and yummy lunch, which we ate picnic-style in the yard. I was sure to sing Nolan his favorite song as I tucked him in for a nap. During naptime I cleaned our house, folded laundry, and mopped floors. We spent the evening on a family game of yard soccer (it was a tie- therefore I still claim to be a better kicker). I finished off the night by tucking the boys snugly into their beds and saying prayers as a family. The day was lovely:)

I would like to thank my own wonderful mom along with all of the women who have played an important part in my life. I want to you know how much I appreciate your love and kindness.

Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. -Erich Fromm

I love this. So very true. A mother's love is forever.

Happy Mother's Day,
Carmen





No comments:

Post a Comment