Pages

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

the last baby.


As promised in this post, here is one for Nolan.

As I have mentioned a time or two (or three...) before I didn't ever picture myself with children. Then we had Christian. Immediately I knew that we would have to have another. I am an only child, and it is not too fun. Don't get me wrong, there are worse things in the world, but I wouldn't ever want that for a child of mine. There is a certain camaraderie among siblings. An unspoken, forever bond that cannot be replicated. I knew I wanted that in my home.

Enter, Nolan.




When we found out that we were going to have another boy I was absolutely thrilled. I was excited for Christian to have a brother, and I was pumped that I was going to be able to perfect being a mom to boys. I was not going to have to learn much about little girls, I could focus all of my mothering energy on dirt, and trucks, and guys (action figures), and all things suitable for little tiny men.


It seems as though Nolan fit perfectly into his spot in the family. He was born on a Friday morning, we brought him home on Saturday morning, and everything felt perfectly normal. Like it was always meant to be. Cliche warning: he made our family complete. I know it sounds cheesy, but really it's true.


Knowing he is our last child is bittersweet. We recently threw out all of the diapers in the house because Nolan has become a master at going potty. On one hand it is awesome that our diaper days have passed. On the other hand it is sad because it means that I really don't have a baby anymore.


But that isn't true either. Both of them will always be my little boys, but Nolan will forever be my baby. All of his big first moments will always be my last time to see a my child have big first moment. Each year, he will always be the youngest child I will have ever again.


Nolan taught me how to juggle. Not talking about bowling pins. I am talking juggle the needs of two young children, a husband, a household, a couple of cats, and still maintain my sanity (for the most part). It was only after he was born that I really fell into the groove of being the kind of wife and mother I wanted to be.

Brand new Nolan.

Little brother love.


Cake. Yum yum yum.

Nolan being handsome at 2 years old.

Nolan last month enjoying the sand and sun.

I am so blessed to be a mother to two amazing sons. They are wonderful and joyous and make my life so chaotic wonderfully full. They are some special little boys and I don't know how I could ever be so lucky to be their mom.

Until next time,
Carmen







No comments:

Post a Comment