Pages

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

firstborn.



I think there is always something about your firstborn. Don't get me wrong here I love both of my boys so very much - but there is a certain something different about the first child.. He is the link. The piece that brought everything together. He made me a mother.

Before I met Christian I was just kind of going about. Wandering around - stumbling over this and that. Life was fine, but it wasn't quite right. I was not the greatest teenager ever - in fact I'm surprised my mother ever put with me. As I've said before, I never thought I wanted any children. The thought of another life depending on me scared me to death (sometimes I still does a little - hey it's kind of a big deal).

When I was pregnant I decided that I would read absolutely everything I could find on parenting. I figured that this child at least deserved parents who knew what the heck they were doing. So I read and read and read. I learned a lot about breastfeeding, and car seat safety, and baby proofing your home. But there was still something missing. I didn't really know how I was going to be a mother - I mean I didn't even know this baby and how could I be sure that I would know how to really love a child like a mother does.

Well, then I met Christian. After a long 29 hours of labor a nurse placed this tiny bundle of blankets in my arms. I looked at him. He looked at me. We knew each other perfectly. Everything else that I was so worried about just seemed to fall into place. I knew in that moment that the love that a mother has for her son does not need to be learned, it just is. It can't be taught in a book or a parenting class. It is infinite. It was always there, just waiting for him.

I am getting all sentimental and lovey because my little (big) man will be going to junior kindergarten this year. I was sitting here this morning filling out his school paperwork and it took me back to when he was just a tiny bundle of blankets.

6month old Christian in the bath.

8month old Christian looking adorable.

1year old Christian testing his new walking skills on his first birthday.

Enjoying some cake and kisses on his 2nd birthday.

Blowing out candles on his 3rd birthday.

Soaking up the sun at 4 years old.

He's a pretty neat boy. We love him a bunch and absolutely can not believe that he is growing so fast.

Until next time,
Carmen

PS: Nolan we think your awesome and there are lots of special things about being the last baby too. Don't worry, your post is coming soon.








No comments:

Post a Comment