Pages

Sunday, June 9, 2013

list-less



I turned 22 a couple weeks back, and it was a great birthday. Hubs and I went out of town and ate great food, drank great coffee, and did a little shopping. It was perfect. 

Last year on my birthday, I made a list of things I wanted to accomplish this year. I was pretty successful (except with the crockpot meals....)!

Though (for the right occasion) I can make a list with the best of 'em, I thought about trying something different for this year. I'm forgoing the list. I'm focusing less on the list-y part of life, and more on the parts of life that don't fit in a column of to-do's. 

The more I get to experience this life, the more and more I realize that most of the important stuff isn't what's on the list. It's what is between the lines. It's that stuff that hardly fits into words at all. 

You know the stuff right? That joy of seeing new parents look at their baby for the first time... The tears that swell up in your eyes as your firstborn walks into kindergarten... The way it feels at the end of the day when you lay your head on his chest and fall asleep... The times when the reality of losing someone you love so very much hits so hard that all you can do is remember to breath. Those days when being a mom is just so overwhelmingly and ridiculously exhausting that all you can do is a laugh/cry combo that makes people in the grocery store look at you funny... That air that makes the weekend feel so magical... Stuff like that.

That's what I want to do this year - seek out and revel in the parts of life that don't make the list. Happy. Sad. All that good stuff in between. That's where I'll be. I bet this will be my favorite year yet.

^I say this every year, and every year I'm right. 

Until next time,
Carmen

No comments:

Post a Comment