Pages

Wednesday, May 15, 2013

annoyed. let me tell you why.



If you are feeling extra sensitive today, this may not exactly be the post for you. Blame it on the heat, or the pregnancy hormones, or the whiny little men. Blame it one whatever you like, but I'm annoyed. 

It was Nurses Week last week and my newsfeed was blowing up with memes like this:


Sigh. Let me start by saying I love me some nurses. Really, I do. I work with some amazing nurses who deserve all of the thanks and appreciation that they never get. This is not even about nurses specifically, so let me just move away from that particular career. 

It makes me sad to see things like this for two main reasons:

1) We should all show gratitude to those who brighten our day, make our lives easier, or are generally awesome. We should freely give thanks for who they are and what they do. When someone does something great, we should be shouting about how much we appreciate said greatness.

2) If being thanked and appreciated is what makes ones job worth a their time, maybe they are in the wrong field. 

I am reminded of one of my favorite quotes from Lao Tzu, "Act without expectation". It's such a shame that there are people out there working at a job that is evidently not worth their time unless they are being praised. 

I completely understand what it's like to work in a thankless environment, where your best is never good enough, and saliva and various other bodily fluids sometimes end up on your shirt. It's not easy, or even sometimes pleasant, but I do it because it's my job. A job I wanted because I thought that I could touch a life, maybe just one if I was lucky. 

Life is short people. If that meme describes your work situation, I sincerely hope that you can find peace within your current career. If not, I hope you can gather the courage to find a career that will be worth your time whether or not you get a week dedicated to your profession. 

Also, give away some gratitude. People of all professions  ALL people need to know how much they are appreciated for what they do who they are.  

Vent over.

Carmen

No comments:

Post a Comment