Pages

Sunday, November 17, 2013

i love college.


disclaimer:
being delicate is ok. while being vast and brilliant. of course.

This post has been cooking in my head for quite awhile. I still don't know if it accurately portrays my deep appreciation I have in my heart for my college experience. 

When you have your first baby when you're 16, things are different for you. When you proceed to get married the next year, and then have another baby a year after that... things are different for you. I have so much love for my family. My heart is overwhelmed with joy because of these boys in my life. That being said, after Christian was born, there was a part of me that never really thought that I'd go to college. It was fine because I wasn't all that concerned with college, I would just go to work and enjoy my family and it would be fine. 

Three years, a wedding, and another baby later, I didn't feel that way anymore. I was unhappy with my job, my marriage surviving instead of thriving, and I was unhappy with myself. Then a day came around when I just couldn't be that person anymore. I needed a change. And that change was an education. 

Being a non-traditional student isn't easy. It's included countless late nights at the computer with coffee and a calculator. I've missed  more bedtimes than I'd like to admit. I've been a cranky wife for midterms and finals season for four semesters now. But you know what? I'm proud of myself. 

I'm proud that I go to college. I'm proud that my name is on the Dean's list. I'm proud of those grades I look at now that I never earned in high school. I'm proud that I earned a teaching assistant internship. I'm proud to have participated in some fantastic and enriching learning experiences. I'm proud to have had the opportunity to connect with some of the most interesting individuals. I'm proud that I've grown as a person. And a mom. And a wife. 

College has been such a transformative experience for me. I love the academic environment. I love being surrounded by people who have such knowledge and experience in fields that they love. I love listening to professors lecture about things they love and are passionate about. 

I love college. I love the woman it has encouraged me to become. I love that I can look at my life and say with complete honesty that I'm proud of who I'm becoming. 

I love college.

Until next time,
Carmen

No comments:

Post a Comment