Pages

Sunday, November 6, 2016

and this is how I feel about abortion.

I am a pro-choice woman who, many years ago, had an abortion. I am not ashamed of either of these facts. Often, I find myself, and other pro-choice people, saying things like, “well I don’t love abortion, but in XYZ situation I fully support a woman’s right to choose”. This is a problem for me as it implies:

1) that other people do “love” abortion, or more accurately, don’t fully comprehend its weight and are cavalier in their decision to have or not have an abortion. 

And 

2) that sometimes some women deserve access to a safe abortion and other times other women do not.

I firmly disagree with both of these sentiments. We (collective) are free to our pro-choiceness, without having to justify that we are also good people. 

When I say I am pro-choice, this is precisely what I mean:

I believe that people are good. Women, as it turns out, are people.

I believe that people are smart, and compassionate, and kind, and strong, and fierce.

I believe that people have the ability to keenly discern whether or not an abortion would be an appropriate choice for them.

I believe that people should have the ability to make informed health care decisions, free from my judgment on whether or not they deserve to do so.

The end.

No comments:

Post a Comment