Pages

Thursday, October 30, 2014

1.

I'm still here. I have lots to say, and so much to tell all of you. But today, today is a celebration.

Today Bunny turns one.

A year ago today, I leaned on my husband as we talked about baseball and pie during contractions. My doula was a saint. And there were a pair of anxious folks off to the side of the room.

A year ago today, I was surrounded by love. I wanted to go home, but at 8 centimeters I leaned into all the support and joy that was filling the room and trusted my body.

A year ago today, I watched a woman hold for the first time, the baby she never thought she would have. I watched a fresh new dad, cut the cord of his fresh new baby.

A year ago today, I looked through tear filled eyes as a new mama and a new dad fell face first into unthinkable, unconditional love with their son. We all had tear filled eyes, actually.

I remember looking over at my OB, the OB I love so dearly, and whispering to her that the look on their faces was everything. That new parent ecstasy, that is what brought me to surrogacy. That the look made every contraction, and push, and every 9.8 pounds, worth each minute. She nodded because she saw it too.

I've said it before, but I don't know if I can ever say it enough. Surrogacy has given me just as much as it has given them. I am honored to have brought Bunny into this world. I am honored to have literally carried hopes and dreams under my heart, and to have brought him into the arms of his parents.

Today Bunny turns one. I wish him... I wish all of us, The Happiest of Birth Days.

Until next time,
Carmen

No comments:

Post a Comment